As part of the ongoing government support during the COVID-19 crisis, the Chancellor announced a new ‘Eat Out to Help Out Scheme’ for restaurants to offer a discount to diners and encourage them to eat at your restaurant.
Here is how it works...
Restaurants can offer the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme:
• Businesses can register for the scheme from 13 July 2020, registration will close on 31 August
• Offer is available Monday to Wednesday from 3 to 31 August 2020
• Offering a 50% discount, up to a maximum of £10 per person, to diners for food or non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in
• There is no limit to the number of times customers can use the offer during the period of the scheme
• Alcohol and service charges are excluded from the offer
• The discount given is claimed back from the government
Who can register? You can register if your establishment:
• Sells food for immediate consumption on the premises
• Provides its own dining area or shares a dining area with another establishment for eat-in meals
• Registered as a food business with the relevant local authority on or before 7 July
The following businesses are not eligible for this scheme:
• Those who only offer takeaway food or drink
• Those only providing catering services for private functions
• Those providing room service only
• Those provide dining services (such as packaged dinner cruises)
• Those operating via mobile food vans or trailers
When can you start offering the discount?
• You should wait until you are registered before you offer discounts to your customers, this cannot be before 3 August.
• When you register for the scheme, it is expected that you will offer it during the whole of your opening hours on all the eligible days that you are open and on all qualifying sales of food or drink.
• If a customer purchases a meal with the intention of eating it but then takes it away and leaves the premises, you can still apply the discount.
Find out how to register your restaurant or establishment for the scheme here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-your-establishment-for-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme
Contact HMRC: A dedicated phoneline and webchat will be available from 13 July 2020.
Don't miss out on our latest news, updates and events - sign up here.